Friday, March 31, 2017

Fabulous 4-Ingredient Whole30 Fajita Crackers



Now, I know 'Whole30' and 'crackers' do not usually go together in the same sentence. But if you've been reading this blog a while, you know I've made this cracker before.

Since that time, I have experimented greatly with this recipe...and well, it's pretty much perfect....except....

...I've found that I like using my own almond meal. It just gives the crackers a bit more substance and crunch. And I do not always (ok, so never) blanche the almonds to remove the skins. I kind of like the two-tone of the final product.

Tasty Fajita crackers!

For this batch, I wanted something with a bit of a bite.  I rummaged around in my spice cabinets (plural because yes, I have more than one) and came across homemade fajita seasoning. Perfect!

Close up shows they aren't really as orange as they look!


The cracker making process is not lacking (did I just go there?) and is so silly easy, your five year old can do it!

WHOLE 30 FAJITA CRACKERS

In a bowl, mix
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 Tbs fajita seasoning (recipe below)
2 egg whites

Now, in the original recipe, I use 1 egg white and 1 cup almond flour. For this, I used two egg whites and 1 1/2 c almond flour. Not because I thought it required two egg whites, but because I put the egg whites in the bowl before I measured out the almond flour and oops, I was short 1/2 c almond flour.
But, they still turned out fabulous.

So, once your four ingredients are all mixed, roll them out between two pieces of parchment paper.
Once you get them as thin as you can, try to get them a bit thinner. Remove top parchment paper slowly.
Cut them into squares (I use a pizza cutter) and move, parchment paper and all, onto a baking sheet.
Bake at 250 degrees until they appear 'not wet.' Now, I know that's a little vague...but trust me, if you check them after 10-15 minutes, you can see how the outer edges are lighter (which means drier) than the middle. Bake for a few minutes more until most of the crackers appear dry. Remove from oven and let cool before you break them into individual pieces. Enjoy!

FAJITA SEASONING
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs chipotle chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbs smoked paprika
1 tbs cumin
1/4 tsp salt

Now this is a hot-spicy fajita mix. If you don't like it that hot, omit the chipotle and the red pepper flakes. I make this up in a big batch and store in a pint mason jar in the cabinet. If you want to do that, multiply everything x3 (ie 1 1/2 tsp would turn into 1.5x3= 4.5 = 4 1/2 tsp). When I actually use this to make fajita's, I add 1 tbs arrowroot powder as a thickener.

No comments:

Post a Comment