Monday, December 19, 2016

My Irish ....Nachos?

I am of Scottish, Irish and German descent. Quite literally....and fairly recently, too.  I am first generation American on one side, and only third generation on the other. My non-American parent became naturalized in the 1970s.
So, my ancestry should lend itself to certain....proclivities. Like love of dark, room temperature beer, or potatoes, or even cabbage and sauerkraut.

Sadly, no. Although I am starting to like darker beers (thank you, husband), I just cannot get behind cabbage of most any kind, prepared in any way.
And potatoes are not far behind in that 'yuck' category.

My mother tells me when I was little, she would feed me potatoes and I would exclaim, 'I gotta go potty!' and run off to the bathroom...where I promptly spit them out.

This dislike of potatoes runs deep.

However, recently I have found that certain potatoes are okay, if doctored up enough. Most people would say I am masking the taste of the potatoes...but that's okay. I do what I want! :)

So imagine my surprise when, at my local Irish pub, I found nachos.

Whaaaa?????

I do love me some nachos!

Apparently, traditional (and I use that term *very* loosely) nachos are made with fried potatoes, and sometimes even layered potatoes in a 9 x 13 pan.
Pish posh!

I wanted crunch! And beef! and cheese!

So, in the same fashion as my local pub, I used corn chips.

Let me tell you, these are fabulous. And easy. And if you ate corned beef and cabbage (to be correct, it's actually called a New England Boiled Dinner) for dinner the night before, make these nachos for lunch or dinner the next day. Your children will thank me.


IRISH NACHOS

Ingredients:

Corn chips
Corned Beef
Plain yogurt
Shredded Cheddar
Nacho Cheese (optional)
Thousand Island dressing
Diced Onions
Diced Tomatoes
Lettuce ( I used a bagged salad, or you can use uncooked cabbage)
Bacon! (cooked crispy and diced)

The Process:

Layer chips on a baking sheet.
Sprinkle corned beef and shredded cheese (nacho cheese if you're using it) on top of the chips.
Bake at 350 until beef is hot and cheese has melted.
While that's baking, mix together 1/3 Thousand Island to 2/3 plain yogurt.
Once chips/beef/cheese is heated through, remove from oven.
Sprinkled lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and more shredded cheese on top.
(If you want to be sneaky, throw on some shredded uncooked cabbage for more veggie health!)
Using a spoon (or a ketchup squirter bottle thingy)- squeeze yogurt dressing over the top.
Add diced bacon.

Serve family style or on individual plates.



No comments:

Post a Comment