Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Super Easy 5-ingredient, 6-minute Fabulous Fudge


I didn't make it to work today. I really wanted to go as I could use the hours....hours equals money and who couldn't use more money?
I had a bit of vertigo this morning. I had three dizzy spells before I even made it downstairs. By the time I got downstairs, I knew I wouldn't be able to get behind the wheel of a car. Nope. Not even going to risk it.

So, I called in to work and set out to make fudge instead. Which is great because a dizzy spell while in my kitchen equals holding onto the counter. A dizzy spell driving a car equals driving into a pole.


I thought I would take my chances
in the kitchen. And it worked out beautifully.
Or is that tastefully? Or both? Either way...you will definitely impress everyone with this fudge recipe. It is extremely easy and versatile. There are so many options that you can adjust flavors to suit most any needs.

This recipe is my mothers recipe. I'm not sure where she got it, but she's been making this fudge for about 50 or 60 years. It's our old family favorite and no holiday gathering is complete without this fudge.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

5-INGREDIENT, 6-MINUTE FABULOUS FUDGE

1 stick butter (use butter!!)
1  can evaporated milk
4 1/2 c white sugar
1 bag chocolate chips (small bag, 12 ozs) I use semi-sweet, but you can use dark or milk chocolate if you like.
2 cups small or 20 large marshmallows

This is called 6 minute fudge because it boils for 6 minutes. Overall, it should take you no more than 15 minutes total to make a single batch. It's still a time bargain, if you ask me!

In a large saucepan (I use the one I make spaghetti in) melt the butter, sugar, and milk over medium heat. Once melted, bring the heat up a tad. You want the mixture to come to a full boil.


Set your timer for 6 minutes, and boil and stir for the full 6 minutes.

Once the 6 minutes are up, turn off the heat.

Now, you have options at this point...which I will go over later. For now, let's just go on with the basic fudge recipe.

Add your marshmallows. I like to use the small ones as I think they melt easier.


Let your marshmallows sit in the hot sugary pot for 30 seconds or so...or if you're impatient like me, dunk them in the hot sugar...


Stir the marshmallows into the mixture until fully incorporated.

Then add your chips and do the same thing. Pour, dunk, wait, mix.
After adding the chocolate chips, mix it until smooth and fudge starts to harden.



Pour into a 9x13 pan and allow to cool. I like adding a touch of sea salt to the top of my fudge, but you don't have to do that.


Wait for the fudge to cool and cut into squares. This is so creamy and delicious you'll wonder where it's been all your life!


Now, as promised, here are some options for your fudge:

Instead of chocolate chips, use
* peanut butter chips, or
* butterscotch chips, or
* mint chips
The process is the same, but the outcome is tastily different and delightful.
Alternatively, you could add orange extract before you add the marshmallow (step back when you do this, the extract causes a chemical reaction that will bubble the hot sugar mixture. Nothing to worry about, it's just the alcohol in the extract burning off) and then add orange zest to your fudge mixture after the chocolate chips.
You could do raspberry extract and chunks of raspberry.
Or mint extract and mint leaves.
Chunks of caramel! Oh how tasty!
The possibilities are endless.
You could do walnuts or almonds in your fudge (recommended is 1 cup, chopped).





No comments:

Post a Comment