Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Homemade Mayo the Easy Way


I know I haven't been posting for a long time. What? Since last December and it's now September? Oh, wow. Sorry. Life...it kind of got in the way. Between school, transferring schools, attending two schools, my parent's failing health, my father-in-law's failing health and my own surgery, things just seemed to get away from me.


But I'm back. For now, anyway. I can't say things won't get hectic again. Hell, they probably will. But I'll do my best to keep posting fabulous shortcuts and tips.

So- I had many friends ask me about how I make my mayonnaise. Well, here's a video to answer that....and a picture or two.
And yes, I understand many people have a problem eating raw eggs. But many people don't. So if your one of those who dislike eating raw eggs for whatever reason (health or taste or preference) I would suggest you not make this mayo. For everyone else, read on!


So before I get to the video- let me explain what I did and how- then watch the video and it should all make sense.

HOMEMADE MAYO

1 egg, room temp
1 c extra virgin olive oil, light tasting (MUST say light tasting on the bottle!)
2 capfuls lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt (I use Mediterranean Sea Salt which has larger grains- but you can use table salt, just use  less if doing so)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1/2 tsp ground mustard

That's it. That's the whole shebang.



Now, you'll need a wide mouth mason jar and a stick blender, but no other fancy machinery.
I'm not sure what I would do without my stick blender. I use it all the time...especially when I make potato soup. It's easier to blend the soup directly in the pot than try to ladle hot soup into a blender and hope you don't blow the lid off! I'm not saying that I've done that....not saying that I haven't either. I will never tell!

The possibilities on homemade mayo are endless. You can change up the spices to suit your needs. I add cayenne for hot mayo, or dill if I am making a potato salad, or onion and garlic if I am using it for sandwiches. It's really up to you how you wish to spice it.  the above recipe is my standard, and I adjust from there.

So- what you do....put the egg in the mason jar. add the oil. Wait a minute and let the oil rise while the egg sinks. Add the spices, then put the stick blender in until it reaches the bottom and hold it there. Run the stick blender for about 20-30 seconds on high without moving it around. BE VERY STILL. We's huntin mayo!
OK- so after you've done that you can start to move the blender around, and incorporate the rest of the oil. Once it's all incorporated, add the lemon juice. Blend, Taste. If you want it tangier, add more lemon juice.  Be aware, the more lemon juice you add the more liquid the mayo. So add sparingly!

OK- that's it. That's how I do it. This mayo lasts, covered, about 4 days in the refrigerator. Now, on to the video!



2 comments:

  1. Or use pasteurized eggs. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurized_eggs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used pasteurized eggs, so I couldn't vouch for the integrity of the mayo using them. But by all means, if people wish to use them, they can give it a try!

    ReplyDelete