Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Little Slice of Heaven


A while back my better half won free plane tickets (and because they dragged their feet, free car rental, too!) to anywhere in the continental USA. Where did we go? Well, where else? Virginia.
Not because we love Virginia, but because we are big history nerds and wanted to see Jamestown (the original, not the tourist trap one), Williamsburg and Yorktown.
And because my brother lives near there, we crashed at his place. So other than food (which we would eat no matter where we were), our trip was free!


We had a blast walking around old ruins, cemetery's and churches. One place in particular in Yorktown was this restaurant called The Carrot Tree Restaurant in the historic Cole Diggs House. Read about them here and their FB page here.

It was nearing the end of our trip and our food money was getting low, so we decided to just order an appetizer and share it. It was a good call! 


Simple biscuits with Virginia Smoked Ham and some sort of sauce. I was in love. So when we got home I set out to try and recreate that wonderful appetizer. And I think I've got pretty darn close. My biscuits need a bit more tweaking, but overall, I got this!

Without further ado, my biscuit recipe (adapted from a Cook's Country version), and my Major Grey's Chutney Dressing Sauce. Oh, the ham? Yeah, you'll have to buy that online. Unless you live in Virginia.

Drop Biscuits:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 stick (1/4 lb, or 8 T) butter, melted.

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the melted butter to the buttermilk, then pour into dry ingredients and mix well. Scoop onto baking sheet. Use a little melted butter to brush over the top, if you wish. Of course I did!
Bake for 15 mins at 475 degrees. Done. 



Major Grey's Chutney Dressing Sauce:


8 oz plain yogurt
1/4 c sour cream
1/3 c major grey's chutney (I make my own, but you should be able to purchase it)
2 t orange vinegar
1 t lemon juice
1/4 t allspice
1/8 t white pepper

Mix together. Stick blend if you want.
Serve cold with rolls or biscuits.

So- when I put everything together, it turned out fabulous. I mean, I have forgotten how good Virginia Ham really is...but you better like salt...but it is salty!
I don't like salt, but I love this ham once in a while. It's a guilty pleasure about once a year.




No comments:

Post a Comment