Friday, March 22, 2013

Chicken Parmesan Stromboli

I came across a recipe for stromboli many, many years ago. Me being me, I had to alter the recipe because well, there were things in it I just didn't like.  What you find below is my wonderful concoction.

I used to make my version of Stromboli at least once a week. The kids loved it, and if their friends knew I was making it, they were there, too! It's a big hit with everyone. It's like having chicken parmesan and garlic bread all rolled into one. Enjoy!
Chicken Parmesan Stromboli
I love this recipe. It is so easy and delicious. Of course, it is a special dinner for us now, since we cut carbs almost totally out of our diet.
But please, try it. Make it your own.
You can even make different versions. Instead of going italian with this, go deli and use ham and turkey with ranch dressing. Stuff the bread with anything you want, seat it bake it and enjoy!
For now, here is my original Chicken Parmesan Stromboli recipe:


CHICKEN PARMESAN STROMBOLI

1 really large chicken breast (or two small), sliced in half lengthwise, cooked and diced.
1/2 jar any type Marinara sauce (I make my own, but I started out using store-bought)
8 ozs Shredded Mozzarella
6 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
4 ozs Shredded Parmesan (use the shredded, as the grated tends to mush-up the sauce too much)
1 tsp + 1 pinch Italian Seasoning (again, I make my own, but use whatever you wish)
1 loaf frozen Rhodes Bread, thawed

Set the frozen dough out the morning you plan to cook this. Coat with a tad bit of olive oil so it doesn't develop a crust, and let rise for 4 hours (give or take). Once ready to roll, preheat oven to 350- then roll dough out into largest rectangle you can muster. It doesn't have to be perfect. I usually make mine about 1/4" thick and around a 9" x 6" (or 8") rectangle.

Place a little bit of shredded mozzarella lengthwise down the center of dough.
Add diced cooked chicken.



Add diced garlic (if you want toasted garlic, toss it in some olive oil and heat in a pan for a couple minutes prior to adding on top of the chicken.

Add Shredded Parmesan. I like to use the three cheese blend. At least until Grau learns how to make asiago and romano, that is. :)

Add marinara sauce. For this tutorial, I just used a generic bottled spaghetti sauce. It still tastes fabulous!

Then add the rest of the shredded Mozzarella on top. As you can tell, I added the spices on top of the mozzarella:

Then you wan to fold the sides IN:

Then fold the top DOWN:

And then fold the bottom UP:

I like to flip my stromboli over at this point. But do it carefully. I put parchment paper down and roll the stromboli over the top of it until it sits in the middle of the parchment paper, and the bread seam is on the bottom. Add a little Olive oil, parmesan and a pinch of spices to the top and make a couple 'breathing' holes:

Bake at 350 until the bread is nice and golden. Let sit about 5 minutes or so before cutting open.
Serve warm with a nice salad.

You can add spinach, or any number of other items to this dish. Really it is that versatile!
Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment