Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tomato Basil Bisque Heaven

Tonight, I made the most delicious, fabulous tomato soup I have ever made in my life. I am SO not kidding!

You see, I am in love with Noodles and Company's Tomato Basil bisque soup...I get it every time I go. Well, that and the Spicy Chicken Caesar Wrap. Both are just to die for.
So I set out to try and recreate the soup and boy am I glad I did!


I paired it with a nice Buffalo Parmesan I bought on a whim at the grocery store. Even *that* was a great find! Who knew, buffalo milk Parmesan cheese. Wow! Go get some, trust me on this.

Anyway- the soup...so here's what I did:

They players:
2 tsp Olive Oil
1/2 c diced onions
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 full cup fresh Basil, stemmed and chopped
3 cups Tomato Juice ( I use the low sodium kind because as you know by now, I don't put salt in anything!)
6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced, skins on.
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Black Pepper
pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs cream or half-n-half or milk

Saute onions in oil in large pot until onions are almost translucent.
Add the crushed garlic and saute about a minute more. (Don't let the garlic turn brown!)
Then add in the tomato juice, diced tomatoes, basil, pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red  pepper and sugar.
Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
Using a stick blender (or whichever way you can blend without making a mess!) blend the soup until it's a puree. Add the cream and blend a minute more.
Serve warm, topped with Parmesan and homemade croutons or a slice of french bread.

Simple, easy and quick! It really is a fabulous soup.





No comments:

Post a Comment