Thursday, August 16, 2012

Z to the Max

I've never required much sleep. I get by on what amounts to the average of four hours a night. Some times I get more, some times I get less.
On the nights I get less, I must have a nap. Me with less than four hours sleep is not a pretty sight.
Oh, I don't get ugly or critical or mean (I'm rarely mean). No. I get loopy. I don't remember things well. Sentences are said backwards. I have a hard time thinking of specific words. Loopy.

Lately, I've been in bed for my generalized four hours of sleep. But I'll wake up two or three times and have a hard time getting back to sleep. Those small interruptions were enough to make me 'slightly off' for the past few weeks. I still function. I'm not cranky. I don't yell.

But as Grau told me last night, I'm just a bit 'off' my usual game. And only someone who's been sleep deprived can see the signs.



So last night I decided to try to get as much sleep as possible. Funny that- me...getting sleep. No, me WANTING sleep. That's the unusual thing. I kind of view sleep as a necessity but a bore.

And Grau was kind enough to help. He got me something to eat at 9pm ( usually a no-no, eating that late ) and then I took two Benadryl.
One of those suckers will knock me out for two hours in the middle of an AC/DC concert. No joke.

I went to bed what is considered early for me. Hell, I think it's considered early for anyone. I went to bed around 10pm (my usual bedtime is around midnight or 1am ). And I did wake up a couple times, starting at 2am....but here's the kicker....I went immediately back to sleep.

Usually when I've been waking up on my four hour gig, I have a hard time going back to sleep. Not last night.  Nope. I went out like a light and even though my body apparently wants to see what's happening at 2am and 3 am and 4.......I went right back to sleep each time.

Glorious!

And I didn't even get up to get Grau his breakfast or pack his lunch. The wonderful man packed his own lunch with the leftovers in the fridge.

I got up at 7:30 this morning. Dead asleep at 10:30pm....awake and moving at 7:30. That's NINE HOURS of sleep (not counting the three wake-ups because I went right back to sleep).

Holy Hades people! I feel great.

Now I can get back to my usual four hours a night and be confident I'll still function like normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment