Thursday, July 12, 2012

Crock Pot Orange Chicken

I happened to be gazing (or would it be more appropriately to say grazing??) over at Crockpot365 when I ran across her Lemon Chicken recipe. Well, I love Orange Chicken so I substituted Orange Juice concentrate for the Lemonade concentrate.

Let me tell you...this is so good, I will definitely be making it again. And soon. Like maybe tomorrow.
This is a healthier version, too, because you don't bread and deep fry the chicken first. You just flour it, crisp it in a fry pan, and toss into the crock pot.



I also added Red Pepper Flakes and omitted the salt (I don't put salt in ANYTHING unless it's needed for a chemical reaction).

Crock Pot Orange Chicken

2 chicken breasts, diced.
Flour
Oil
6 ozs (1/2 can) Orange Juice concentrate
3 Squirts Ketchup (I used my homemade ketchup)
1/4 c Brown Sugar (Original recipe calls for 3 T, but I like it slightly sweeter. Oh, and since I wasn't measuring, it kinda fell into the bowl, so even the 1/4 c is a guesstimate on my part!)
2 T Balsamic Vinegar (Original calls for 1t, but I like BV too much to put just one)
1 T Red Pepper Flakes (again, I used the palm of my hand, so it's a guesstimate. Use as much or as little of the fiery stuff you want! or omit it altogether)
OPTIONAL- Orange rind

Dredge chicken in flour.
Pan fry with the oil until just browned.
Put chicken in crockpot.
Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.

Cook on Low 6-8 hours or High for 3- 4 hours.
Serve over rice.
Serves 2-4 (depending on appetite)

Now, I sliced an orange and added the rind to the crockpot, simply because I wanted the oils from the rind to infuse the sauce even more and I think it makes for a great presentation.
And I was right. It was fabulous, and pretty and definitely a KEEPER recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment